Oil Tank Abandonment
While more costly than removal, and becoming an outdated practice. Abandonment is sometimes performed due to specific job hardship conditions.
- File permits
- Contact Dig Safely NY
- The UST is uncovered, rendered free of ignitable vapors
- Cut open and cleaned of all product and product residue.
- The tank is then entered by a technician who visually inspects the tank for breaches.
- Soil is extracted from the perimeter of the UST by means of drilling through the UST and extracting soil samples or by “geoprobing” around the UST from the surface.
- If any contaminated soil is detected or breaches in the tank are observed, the tank must be removed from the ground and the site remediated.
- If no problems are observed with the UST, the tank may be filled with an inert material (i.e. concrete or sand), depending on local municipality regulations.
- Once the tank is filled, the site is backfilled